Monday, September 05, 2005

The Historian


The Historian on Flickr
I don't think I ever reviewed 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova, though I feel I should.
This is possibly the single best novel I have read all year if not this millenium. Kostova's writing style is different yet compelling. She keeps you reading and makes it very difficult to find a chapter to end your nights reading on. Her descriptive style of writing, which can sometimes be seen as dragging on a bit, allows you to picture every scene with great detail so that when she switches to the action again, you can perfectly envision the action taking place.
The story beneith the writing is fantastic. A whole new take on vampire myth set in our recent history. You find yourself in a story where you are convinced that vampire's don't exist and it's all just a coincidence, but never knowing untill the end if your doubts are founded or not. All the time you are being whisked around Cold-War Europe following the stories told from a father to his daughter.
I once read somewhere that this book was the Da Vinci Code for intelligent people, and I must say it's true. The story can draw similarities to the Da Vinci Code's "cryptic mystery" genre, but adds a whole new depth to the style of writing and the attention to historic truths as possible. Kostova has really done her research on this. I feel I've learned more about the Ottoman Empire and 15th Century Romania than I have anywhere else.
An excellent read, I recommend it to anybody who likes a good story.

In short:
It's got Vampires, violence, mystery, romance, trains and torture in it. All splashed with a bit of history.
What's not to love?

See more reviews here:
The Historian

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Watson said...

Sccccrrreeewwddrriiivvveerrrr.

10:07 pm  
Blogger Jon said...

Everything OK there Paul?

10:10 pm  
Blogger Paul Watson said...

It is a line from a Pixies song :-D

Nice review mate, just read it now.

10:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home