Friday, August 04, 2006

Intel Mac (Windows) Apps

I've been using Windows XP on the MacBook (via Boot Camp) for a few days now and have already (re)discovered a couple of key applications that are essential.

MacDrive 6
I gave myself 7GB of drive space for Windows XP. This is fine for the OS and a few core apps, but what if I need access to the Mac HFS+ partition? Step up MacDrive 6. With MacDrive installed, your Mac partitions show up in My Computer as normal drives that can be read from and written to quite naturally.
Update: Also works on USB/Firewire External HDs formatted in HFS+. This is how I first came across the app a few years ago.

Input Remapper
Using Windows XP with one mouse button and half the keyboard keys mapped incorrectly is a pain in the arse. With this simple system tray app it is possibly to add new features to the 'FN' key that allow right-click and re-enables the function buttons like brightess, volume, Numlock and so on...

Thats it for now, due to the fact that this is all you need to get your Intel Mac running windows more naturally. I'm now trying to get used to using Acrobat for PDF, Firefox for web browsing and MSN Messenger (eugh). Thankfully I'm only using Windows for work and specific apps like AutoCad when back at college. Nothing compares to OS X for day-to-day computing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul Watson said...

Thanks mate, useful apps for when I get my MacBook Pro.

11:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home